Monday, September 3, 2012

8 hours of San Felasco

     The 8 Hours of San Felasco is always a fun race for me.  It is the week before the Florida State Championship series and gives me a good idea on where I stand with the competition.  This year I teamed up with Sam Connell and my Dad.  Sam Started the race so he could gain more experience riding in a big crowd.  He had a great first lap and proved he is ready for state.
     My first lap I was feeling really good and pushed myself up all the climbs to see how well I was handling some elevation.  My heart rate was looking good and I was recovering really well after each climb.  My lap times were in the mid 40's for the ~9.5 mile course and I was satisfied with that since Ryan Woodall was doing them in the 38's.
     It started raining during our final rotation.  My Dad was on the course when the rain came in but he wasn't muddy when he finished so I didn't worry about trail conditions.  However, the rain was not letting up and when Sam finished his lap he was muddy from head to toe.  I started out hammering it but quickly realized that San Felasco was SLICK when wet.  I backed off my pace to avoid falling and possibly getting injured.  I want to go into the FSC 100% healthy.  I didn't crash and we held our 10th place position.  My Dad took his last lap slow since we were a lap ahead of 11th and I told him how slick it was.










     I am happy with our finish, 10 out of 22 teams.  Shout out goes out to all the teams that finished and to the team of Ryan Woodall, Brian Bombassei and Andrew Danford for winning the 3 person team event.  It was also good to see Tinker Juarez out there winning the solo competition.  The last time I raced the same race as him I was 8 and on a 24" bike!

No comments:

Post a Comment