Monday, April 8, 2013

SERC 1--Santos

I have always been a huge fan of the Santos trail system so I wasn't too disappointed when I found out it was not at Gainesville.  Plus, I never seem to have a good SERC race at Gainesville.  For some reason I am always sick this time of year.  This year was different.  I was healthy.  I wasn't really in sprint shape because I had done so much endurance training since the FSC but my Dad started throwing in some interval workouts and some additional sprint training.  My top end speed wasn't there but I could ride for a long time. 

We pre rode the course on Saturday and I loved it, so much I did more laps than I usually do.  I felt confident and was ready for Sunday.  There was a chance of rain on Sunday so tire selection became our biggest concern.  With it staying overcast we decided to stick with our normal race setup and lined up for our three laps.  My strategy was to follow one particular person the first lap because I knew he would go out hard.  On the second lap I was going to make my move and sprint the third.

The first lap was pretty uneventful.  I simply followed the leader with my teammate Sam right behind me.  On the second lap the leader started attacking right away.  I countered every attack and stayed right with him.  About the mid way point I made my move.  We had an open section and I sprinted it out to gain the lead.  Second place kept trying to get back around me so I picked up the pace just enough where he wouldn't have room to get around in any open sections.  Coming through scoring he attacked again to try to regain the lead.  I opened it up a little to keep him behind me.  The first part of the lap was easy trail so I picked up the pace quite a bit as planned.  Next thing I knew I was riding all by myself.  I slowed down my pace a little to save some for the finish.  Next thing I knew Sam was catching up to me.  We were able to ride out the rest of the third lap without having to give it too much effort.  I could tell my endurance training had paid off.  As we came to the finish line I was prepared for Sam to try to out sprint me but he never did.  We were able to cross the line at a comfortable pace. 

The CycleYouth team had a great day at the SERC.  1st and 2nd in junior sport and 1st, 5th, 8th, and 10th in 10-14 and 3rd and 6th in 15-18.  The rest of the LeRoys Bikeworks team also had a great day pulling a few wins and many other podium spots.

No comments:

Post a Comment