Monday, February 25, 2013

SouthEast Bike Expo

The SouthEast Bike Expo was better than I could have imagined.  I was ready to do some mountain bike riding outside of Florida and Conyers, GA seemed like the best spot.  Although it was 40 degrees and rainy we still were excited to be there. 

We arrived on Friday night and had dinner with Josh and Ty from Orbea.  Those two are really cool to hang out with and we had planned on riding with them but they were too busy at the expo.  Next time guys! 

First thing Saturday morning we hit the trails.  Conyers wasn't like I remembered it.  It was muddy and open.  The area was logged last year and it opened up the area a lot.  The last time we were there it was rainy but the trails held up better than they did this time.  The climbs were still there and I did some of them several times just to get some training in.  Since it was so wet we skipped the granite side and got cleaned up and headed to the expo.

A lot of vendors were there and we got to see the new products and talk to a lot of people about their products.  The highlights were meeting the Vee Rubber Tires crew and getting to see their complete lineup of tires and the SRAM tent had me drooling for some XX1.  Vee Rubber Tires is one of our CycleYouth sponsors and I really enjoyed seeing all their tires first hand.  They have a tire for every kind of bike riding and my Dad and I spent a lot of time with them.  I saw about 5 different tires that would work great here in Florida.  We have hard packed, sand, mud, clay, and everything else in between down here and just about every state series race could require a different tread.  Vee Rubber has us covered!  Thanks for all the swag guys!!!  The socks are super comfortable!

We did another ride that afternoon and hit a small portion of the granite but it was still slick so we cleaned up again and headed out to dinner.  The next morning a few of us went for another ride and the trails had dried out some and the sun was out.  We were able to ride the granite side this time and got some good mileage in with a lot of climbing.

I headed back to the expo for the final time and ran into some of the Georgia CycleYouth team.  I went to the KMC tent and hung out for a while and then made my way to Vee Rubber Tires again.  I feel I have some good tire combinations picked out and can't wait to try them out.

The expo had a lot of vendors and plenty of swag to go around.  I got a lot of samples of gels, tshirts, key chains, water bottles, stickers and beanies.  I can't wait until next years expo!

No comments:

Post a Comment